A post on a message board about what working moms like and dislike about being working moms got me thinking this morning. The question was, "What are the top three things you love about being a working mom and what are the top three things you hate about being a working mom?" The goal was to avoid saying that missing your baby was something you hated. I personally prefer more of a like and dislike approach to the question and I came up with the following.
3 Things I Like About Being a Working Mom
1. I like having money. I will be completely honest about that. I like having money to contribute to our household expenses, saving for our future goals, and buying things for W. Lately most of my money goes towards buying things for W and it brings me joy.
2. I like that W is getting to stay home with J right now. I think it will be an incredible experience for both of them and one that will strengthen their relationship as father and son. It's an opportunity more men should get to have as I think it will also lead to a better understanding of all of the responsibilities that come with raising a child for both J and I.
3. I have enjoyed getting back into a routine that is familiar to me. Before W was born I would go to work, hit the gym on the way home, and then head home for the evening. It's nice to be back in that routine.
3 Things I Dislike About Being a Working Mom
1. I dislike waking up in the morning. With Daylight Savings Time, it's now dark when I wake up in the morning and I do much better waking up when it's starting to get light out. I also do much better letting myself wake up naturally which usually happens around 7:00 in the morning. So this is something that definitely makes me grumpy some mornings.
2. One thing that has been challenging to me is feeling like I have to be "on" as a mom from the moment I walk in the door when I get home. It isn't exactly like that as J is more than happy to give me time to get changed and unpack all of my stuff for the day. I think this is just more of my desire to hold W and take care of him after being away all day. I do make myself take the bit of time to take care of myself and put things away before taking over with W though.
3. A third in this area was actually challenging for me because I wanted to say that missing W was something I really dislike about being a working mom but in my effort to avoid that... I really dislike that the weekends seem so short. Friday evenings are wonderful because we have the whole weekend ahead of us but before I know it, Sunday is suddenly here and I'm left wondering where the weekend has gone.
Reflecting on what I like and dislike helps me put everything into perspective. I struggle with figuring out who I want to be as a mother everyday and I'm sure that will continue for the rest of my life. I know I could make the sacrifices that would allow me to stay at home with W, but I also enjoy the lifestyle that working provides for my family. The one perk of being a teacher is that summer break will be hear before I know it and I will get to spend a lot of time with W again. Of course, one of my biggest worries is childcare for him in the fall. Perhaps that time will help me figure things out a bit more.